Sunday, July 24, 2011

one thousand gifts


A book that I soon plan to read is "One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are" by Ann Voskamp.  In this book, Ann poses a challenge, one that I am going to take on myself.....making a list of one thousand gifts. It's a dare, really, to live FULLY  — right where they are.  Ann says, " I scratch it down; Gift List.  I begin the list.  Not of gifts I want but of gifts I already have."  'How,' Ann wondered, 'do we find joy in the midst of deadlines, debt, drama, and daily duties? What does a life of gratitude look like when your days are gritty, long, and sometimes dark? What is God providing here and now?'  


"He who sacrifices thank offerings honors me, and he prepares the way so that I may show him the salvation of God." -Psalm 50:23  


So, here's to 1,000 gifts. I actually started my list via twitter back in May but at the time had not started this blog. My firsts two gifts are from a tweet on May 20th.


1. sleepy, snuggly baby with a full belly on my chest
2. yawns that fill up her whole face, coos, grunts...favorites
3. discussions around the table about cell church, good, authentic times 
4. praying out loud for and with a sweet, dear friend 
5. sights and sounds of a summer eve, lightning bugs, tree frogs
6. the way she smiles at her daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment